Musings of a YA author throwing herself into the fray. Join me on the journey ...

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

All about me ...

I did a fun bio post over at Supernatural Snark, and since I get a lot of emailed questions about me, Tempest Rising and why I wrote Tempest Rising, I thought I'd repost the blog over here.  Let me know if you still have questions after this ....

 Now, to be completely honest, I get a little antsy when someone asks me to write a bio of myself, because I never have a clue what to include (and what to leave out). But I’ll give it my best shot.

I love lipstick, books and fancy earrings (though not necessarily in that order).

I love to travel, but absolutely refuse to set foot in a tent.

I love dancing, reading poetry (the Beats are my favorite), swimming and trying new recipes.

I’m addicted to chocolate, pickles and strawberry-banana smoothies (though not at the same time).

I love thunderstorms, unexpected downpours, and walking in the rain, but hate the feel of wet clothes against my skin when the storm is over.

When I was young, I watched the Hans Christian Anderson version of The Little Mermaid at least once a day for three years. And though my mermaid obsession eventually gave way to a love of all things Wonder Woman, my interest in mermaids never went completely away (obviously).

My favorite book of all time is Ayn Rand’s Anthem, while my least favorite book of all time is John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath.

My favorite book that I’ve read in the last year is Cory Doctorow’s Little Brother.

One summer, I went to every major amusement park in America. Another summer, I ran away with band.

Two of my closest friends and I wrote a book called The International Kissing Club, about four girls who travel internationally and start a Facebook page to keep track of the points they get from kissing boys. It comes out in January 2012.

I’ve climbed the Pyramids in Egypt, walked on the banks of the Red Sea, kissed a boy in front of the Eiffel Tower, gotten soaked at Cleopatra’s favorite bathing spot and surfed Diamondhead Bay in Hawaii. I’ve also skydived over New Mexico and stood at the Cave of the Winds in Niagara Falls.

Despite my love of the water, I have a deep-seated fear of sharks. A serious, awful, unbelievable terror of sharks.

I came up with the idea for Tempest Rising when my agent asked me “So, how do you feel about mermaids …”

I set Tempest Rising on the beaches I used to hang out at, swim in and surf when I was her age.

At seventeen, there was nothing quite like a midnight ride out to La Jolla and a long walk on the beach.

To this day, my favorite thing to do is to curl up with a cup of tea and a book as I listen to the rain hit against the window.

And last but not least, I’m part of the Chills and Thrills Teen Book Tour, which will be visiting all the major cities in Texas in the next month. Check out our website to see the other authors on the tour: http://chillsandthrillsteenbooktour.wordpress.com/whos-who/

So, now it's your turn.  Tell me one cool thing about you :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow you have done a lot of awesome things!
    La Jolla is the best! I don't think you could find a prettier beach anywhere in So Cal!

    I'm pretty boring, I don't think there is anything cool about me....I'll have to think about it and get back to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of interesting stuff in there! So, what's one cool thing about me? Hmmm...could I mention I have an all-out obsession with Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Really, I am obsessed beyond belief and recently bought the Complete Series. I am so in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blanche, I know there are lots of cool things about you :) And yes, La Jolla beaches are beautiful.

    Garrett, I LOOOOOOOVE Buffy. My friend owns the entire series and lets me borrow them whenever I want :) She is now working to get me hooked on Vampire Diaries ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, you have GOT to try the Vampire Diaries! The first couple episodes start out a bit slowly, but once it gets going, it never stops-it's a roller-coaster ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat. I've got my mom, my sister, a best friend (and that same friend got her cousin addicted) into it! It's just a never ending cycle of Vampire Diaries addicts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, that's what I mean. The last thing I need is another addiction ... But maybe I'll borrow season one from her this summer, when I'm not inundated with work.

    ReplyDelete