Musings of a YA author throwing herself into the fray. Join me on the journey ...

Monday, September 19, 2011

Fall and books and me

I love fall. Yeah, spring is all flashy and green and bright, but fall invites you to slow down, curl up and revel in its golden light. Oooh, and Halloween (my fave) and pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream (mmm, pie) and college football (Hook'em!). Fall is also big release time in the publishing world, when they offer the reading public a buffet of their choicest words and savory phrases begging over-indulgence. Always more than happy to oblige and open my wallet, the following are five of the books on my ways to procrastinate reading list for the coming autumnal season: (An aside--I have developed emo-girl-flowing-hair-flowing-dress cover fatigue so I've deliberately chosen books that don't feature this. Take note, publishing world.)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: This is the jauggernaut of the autumnal publishing season, and, yes, I have bought into all the hype. But, come on, the cover is delightful and the omniscient storyteller POV so refreshing, I had to see if it lives up to its bestsellerdom-to-come. I'm on page 33 and all I want to do is sit in a quaint coffeeshop sunk into an old wingback and fall into Ms. Morgenstern's magical world for hours on end. 



 
Frost by Marianna Baer: Okay, this has a girl on it and a few flowing strands, but at least it's not a shot of her running away into a fairy forest or the ocean. Anyway, this looks to be an old-fashioned ghost story in a creeping boarding house in New England. Perfect! I won't sleep for a month, but this is the perfect season for a chilling haunt of a tale.




 
 
 
Past Perfect by Leila Sales: This premise for this book totally sold me--the teen heroine's spending the summer working at a historical re-enactment village. Personal reveal: my first job when I was 15, I worked the ticket booth at my local historical re-enactment farm. So, a) this book is right up my alley and b) why didn't I think of it?



 
 
 
 
Touch by Jus Accardo: I judged the first three chapters of this book in a contest for unpubbed writers last year and just knew it was going places, so I'm anxious to see how the story turns out.




 


Legend by Marie Lu: I'm not usually a big dystopian fan, but they're saying this is the next Hunger Games, so we'll see. The author is repped by uber-agent Kristen Nelson who also reps my dear friend Sherry Thomas, and Kristen knows talent when she reads it, so my guess is this will be huge.



So, I've still got room on my docket for this season, what else should I be reading in between college football games?

1 comment:

  1. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete